Any questions relating to spyware, browser hijacking, general security should go here
Moderators: j79zlr, Global Moderators
I want to secure my system more efficiently so that nobody can play around my system registry settings.
I want only the System Admin to view/modify the registry details.
How can I disable the registry view/editing option for nonAdmin users?
How can I stop the nonAdmin users from running/creating the files with .reg extension?
How to achieve the above two things through registry settings?
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:55 pm
This describes how to do what you want: http://windowsitpro.com/article/article ... ditor.html
Using the registry editor (regedt32.exe)
1. Highlight HKEY_USERS and Load Hive from the Registry menu.
2. Browse to the users profile directory who you want to restrict the registry tools for and select NTUser.dat.
3. When prompted for Key Name, input their UserID.
4. Navigate to \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies.
5. If no System sub-key exists, Add Key. Then Add Value of DisableRegistryTools (under the System key) using type REG_DWORD and set it to 1.
6. Unload Hive from the Registry menu.
- Site Admin
- Posts: 480
- Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:05 am
- Location: Chicago, IL
Return to Spyware and Security
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest